Merkel Interrupts Holiday to Calm Immigration Row
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has announced plans for a government committee to look at possible measures to curb the so-called “benefit tourism.”
Merkel has interrupted her holiday to discuss immigration with Sigmar Gabriel, leader of the center-left Social Democrats, the Financial Times informs.
Merkel spokesman Georg Streiter has explained that the planned committee of senior officials would examine whether and how government departments could take action against abuses of welfare benefits by EU migrants.
The Chancellor’s intervention came after MEP Elmar Brok from her Christian Democrat party controversially called on politicians to consider having immigrants fingerprinted if they tried to make improper benefit claims.
Germany's governing coalition is having a stormy debate over calls to toughen social welfare laws as the European labor markets open to Romanians and Bulgarians.
On January 1, Romanians and Bulgarians received the right to work freely in all EU member states, seven years after joining the bloc.
Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Spain and the UK are no longer allowed to bar citizens from the two countries from coming to work.
- » EC Appoints Bulgaria’s Charlina Vitcheva Deputy Director-General at Joint Research Centre
- » Bulgaria to Assume EU Presidency 6 Months Earlier
- » EC Takes Bulgaria to Court over Insufficient Protection of Endangered Birds
- » Bulgarian Army Ready to Boost Assistance to Police in Border Protection, Def Min Says
- » EU Asks Bulgaria to Comply with Rules for Energy Consumption of Buildings
- » EC Requests Bulgaria to Ensure Level Playing Field for Groundhandling Service Providers at Sofia Airport
This woman is such a hag, she is as corrupt as rain is wet. Lets see, she keeps giving more power to Brussels screwing all the peoples of Europe but all of a sudden she cares about welfare for poor immigrants. What about the money stolen from bank accounts in Cyprus? What about the IMF's plan to grab more money (steal) from peoples bank accounts if the banks need a bailout. The EU is crashing because of stupidity by politicians..there will always be corruption, as a matter of fact without corruption the politicians would not be rich. I say to hell with the EU.