Merkel Interrupts Holiday to Calm Immigration Row
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has announced plans for a government committee to look at possible measures to curb the so-called “benefit tourism.”
Merkel has interrupted her holiday to discuss immigration with Sigmar Gabriel, leader of the center-left Social Democrats, the Financial Times informs.
Merkel spokesman Georg Streiter has explained that the planned committee of senior officials would examine whether and how government departments could take action against abuses of welfare benefits by EU migrants.
The Chancellor’s intervention came after MEP Elmar Brok from her Christian Democrat party controversially called on politicians to consider having immigrants fingerprinted if they tried to make improper benefit claims.
Germany's governing coalition is having a stormy debate over calls to toughen social welfare laws as the European labor markets open to Romanians and Bulgarians.
On January 1, Romanians and Bulgarians received the right to work freely in all EU member states, seven years after joining the bloc.
Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Spain and the UK are no longer allowed to bar citizens from the two countries from coming to work.
- » Bulgaria Records Sizeable Y/Y Drop in Jobless Rate in February 2015
- » Bulgaria Had Lowest Hourly Labor Costs in EU in 2014, at EUR 3.8
- » EU Launches Proceeding on Agricultural Land Ownership Laws in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria Fails to Address Shortcomings in Treatment of Prisoners, Conditions of Detention - CoE
- » Bulgaria to Get EUR 10 M EU Funding to Tackle Asylum, Migration, Integration
- » EU Commission VP Jyrki Katainen to Visit Bulgaria on April 16
This woman is such a hag, she is as corrupt as rain is wet. Lets see, she keeps giving more power to Brussels screwing all the peoples of Europe but all of a sudden she cares about welfare for poor immigrants. What about the money stolen from bank accounts in Cyprus? What about the IMF's plan to grab more money (steal) from peoples bank accounts if the banks need a bailout. The EU is crashing because of stupidity by politicians..there will always be corruption, as a matter of fact without corruption the politicians would not be rich. I say to hell with the EU.