Merkel Interrupts Holiday to Calm Immigration Row
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has announced plans for a government committee to look at possible measures to curb the so-called “benefit tourism.”
Merkel has interrupted her holiday to discuss immigration with Sigmar Gabriel, leader of the center-left Social Democrats, the Financial Times informs.
Merkel spokesman Georg Streiter has explained that the planned committee of senior officials would examine whether and how government departments could take action against abuses of welfare benefits by EU migrants.
The Chancellor’s intervention came after MEP Elmar Brok from her Christian Democrat party controversially called on politicians to consider having immigrants fingerprinted if they tried to make improper benefit claims.
Germany's governing coalition is having a stormy debate over calls to toughen social welfare laws as the European labor markets open to Romanians and Bulgarians.
On January 1, Romanians and Bulgarians received the right to work freely in all EU member states, seven years after joining the bloc.
Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Spain and the UK are no longer allowed to bar citizens from the two countries from coming to work.
- » The IMF Supports Bulgaria's Efforts to Enter the Eurozone Waiting Room
- » Prime Minister Borisov will Participate in the Regular European Council Meeting
- » Bulgaria has One of the Strongest Employment Growth Rates in the EU for the Quarter
- » Bulgaria is Among the EU Countries with the Highest Number of Old Aircraft
- » Kristalina Georgieva: I Expect Bulgaria to Enter the Eurozone Waiting Room Next Year
- » Bulgarian PM: EU integration of the Western Balkans Would be Among the Priorities of the Bulgarian Presidency of the EU
This woman is such a hag, she is as corrupt as rain is wet. Lets see, she keeps giving more power to Brussels screwing all the peoples of Europe but all of a sudden she cares about welfare for poor immigrants. What about the money stolen from bank accounts in Cyprus? What about the IMF's plan to grab more money (steal) from peoples bank accounts if the banks need a bailout. The EU is crashing because of stupidity by politicians..there will always be corruption, as a matter of fact without corruption the politicians would not be rich. I say to hell with the EU.