Chinese Rescue Vessel Ice-Trapped in Antarctica
The Chinese vessel involved in the dramatic rescue of the Russian ship Akademik Shokalskiy has also been stuck in the ice off the Antarctica coasts.
The crew of the Chinese icebreaker ship Xue Long (Snow Dragon) said Friday that they were worried about their own ship's ability to cut through ice.
The Aurora Australis vessel, which was carrying the rescued passengers, was told to stay in the area in case the Chinese icebreaker Snow Dragon needs help, according to the Australian Maritime Safety Authority's Rescue Coordination Centre, which oversaw the rescue.
The Snow Dragon, which is at the edge of the ice pack surrounding the Russian vessel, will attempt to push through the ice to open water on Saturday.
The Aurora is waiting 11 kilometers north of the Snow Dragon, said Lisa Martin, spokeswoman for the marine authority.
Currently there is no immediate danger to the Snow Dragon vessel.
- » Bulgarian, Serbian Military Discuss Progress in Joint Action against Irregular Migration
- » EU Appoints Michel Barnier to Lead Negotiations on Brexit
- » Ansbach Attacker 'Feared Deportation to Bulgaria'
- » Russia, Turkey Reach ‘Political Decision’ on Gas Pipeline, NPP Projects
- » New Tax Hikes Force Rise in Relocation of Greek Firms to Bulgaria
- » Migration-Wary Bulgaria, Greece Agree to Hold Joint Special Forces Exercise at Border