Greek Foreign Minister: EU Presidency Is Opportunity
Greece’s foreign minister believes the country’s EU presidency is an opportunity to present itself as a full-fledged member of the block, despite the crisis it is faced with.
“We are seeking a new narrative for Europe. We therefore have to bring back into the discussion a Europe of culture, of civilization, of history, of the rule of law, and of the welfare state”, said Evangelos Venizelos in an interview for Euronews.
On January 1, Greece assumed the rotational presidency of the EU, taking over from Lithuania.
Meanwhile, Greece has been suffering 6 years of recession and extreme levels of unemployment (27%), in its worst crisis since entering the union.
“Over the past three and a half years, Greece has made the biggest fiscal adjustment in the history of the western economy. We began back in 2009 with a 12% primary deficit, and now we have achieved a primary surplus”, added Venizelos, who is also Deputy Prime Minister.
The presidency means that Athens becomes an important venue for high-level EU meetings this year.
- » PM Borisov had a Meeting with the Russian Ambassador
- » Borisov Discussed Preparations for the EU-Turkey Meeting with the Turkish Ambassador
- » Bulgarian PM Discussed the Future Turkey-EU Meeting with Turkish Ambassador in Bulgaria - Hasan Ulusoy
- » Bulgaria Plots to Help Turkey Join the EU in Defiant Stand Against Brussels
- » Minister of Foreign Affairs Ekaterina Zaharieva will Take Part in the Foreign Affairs Council Today
- » Merkel in Sofia: I Welcome Borissov's Initiative for EC-Turkey Meeting
Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Evangelos Venizelos aka Turkoglou,his tongue has slipped before his brain engaged on the subject of the "Rule of the Law".Does anybody believes what he is saying?.Does Greece or for that matter,does the EU believes in international Laws,or are they also loosing the control of their tongue as Greece so often does.In my personal opinion,the EU and NATO do not observe international laws,except when it suit their politics.The worst Human Rights abusers are members of the EU.Greece does not recognize other languages except the "Greek".Once again,EU has a Greek representative in the field of langueges who themselves do not respect,Miss Vasiliou.She said"different languages are good for the society"the question is;why Greece is not allowing the Macedonian language to be spocken in public,or learned in public schools?.