Refugees in Bulgaria Number 9,500
The first statistic for 2014 of the State Agency for Refugees (DAB) shows that there are 9,500 refugees currently residing in Bulgaria.
Around half of those seeking asylum in Bulgaria come from Syria, and most of them are accommodated in the temporary shelters, reports Standartnews.
The reception centers in the capital Sofia as well as the campus in Harmanli remain the most densely populated.
In December, DAB made a commitment to speed up the process of granting refugee status and to quickly deport those who are refused such.
Bulgaria received substantial humanitarian aid from the EU as well as from individual governments, to deal with the increasing number of refugees.
DAB also increased its staff in some of the most-populated reception centers.
- » Bulgarian Government To Spend BGN 7.2 M On Subsidized Employment
- » Sofia Art Provocateurs Paint Garbage Containers for Earth Day
- » Sofia, Stara Zagora Finalists in Bloomberg European City Contest
- » Bulgarians Sent 8.8 M Texts For Easter
- » Bulgaria 6th in EU for Child Obesity
- » Ambulances To Leave from Sofia Gas Stations