All Passengers Rescued from Ice-Trapped Russian Ship
All passengers aboard the Russian exploratory ship Akademik Shokalskiy trapped by ice off the coast of Antarctica have been rescued from the vessel.
A Chinese helicopter has delivered the passengers, most of them researchers, aboard the ship Aurora Australius, reports RIA Novosti.
The news was first spread by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA).
Apart from the 52 passengers of various nationalities, the Akademik Shokalskiy ship hosts a 22-strong Russian crew.
The vessel was blocked by ice on December 24. The helicopter rescue operation was launched after two attempts of approach by icebreakers failed due to poor weather.
The lives of all involved are reported to be out of danger.
- » Putin Warns Russians Internet Is 'CIA Project'
- » Kosovo Extends EULEX Mission, Creates War Crimes Court
- » Serbian Parliament 'Complete', Govt to Be Announced Saturday
- » Deaths Reported in Ukraine's Slaviansk Operation
- » No Breakthrough in US-Japan Trade Deal
- » Afghan Hospital Guard Kills 3 American Medics