Turkey Detains Truck Full of Weapons for Syria
The Turkish authorities have detained a truck loaded with weapons, headed to Syria, Turkish Hurriyet informed.
Three people, among whom a Syrian citizen, were arrested in the province of Hatay, Turkey. A large amount of ammunition and weapons were found inside the truck.
The driver claimed that the vehicle was loaded with humanitarian aid from a Turkish non-governmental organization, which has later called the allegations "defamatory ".
Turkey has harshly criticized the Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and is a supporter of the Islamist opposition, however the state denies the provision of any weapons.
In December, local media reported that Turkey has provided 47 tons of weapons to the Syrian rebels from June to December 2013. Defense Minister Ismet Yilmaz denied the information and said that the country exported only hunting rifles.
Turkey, which has been accused of turning a blind eye to militants who cross the border to enter Syria, has taken some 600,000 Syrian refugees.
- » Government, Opposition in Venezuela Mark Progress in Talks
- » NATO to React "Immediately" on Ukrainian Crisis
- » South Korean Ferry Death Toll Climbs to 4, Many Missing
- » Putin, Lavrov Warn Against Use of Army in Eastern Ukraine
- » Serbia's Vucic Offers Socialists to Enter Coalition
- » Estonia Calls for More NATO Presence