BBC: 2014 Special New Year for Bulgarians, Romanians
It's a special new year for Romanians and Bulgarians, finally gaining equal rights to work freely across the EU seven years after their accession, Mark Lowen, BBC News correspondent, commented from Bucharest.
No extra flights have been planned from Bucharest but one coach company has tripled services to London, his check has shown.
“Many here talk of their hopes of a better life with higher salaries - but nobody knows quite how many will finally leave,“ Mark Lowen reported.
In his words Britons fear large numbers will come, since a decade ago the government expected 15,000 per year from Eastern Europe but a million and a half came.
- » Bulgaria, Romania Agree to Back Serbia's EU Bid
- » Bulgarians Among Most Frequently Expelled from Belgium in 2012
- » exPM Complains of Political Repression in Bulgaria to EC VicePresident
- » EU Funding to Boost Bulgaria's E-Governance
- » Bulgarian MEP Warns of Negative Impact of EU Visa Sanctions on Russia
- » Bulgaria Ranks Among EU Modest Innovators – Report