UK Labor Party Concedes: We Made Mistake with Poles
A UK Labor home affairs spokesman has conceded that the last Labor government made a mistake in not adopting transitory arrangements when 10 new countries joined the EU in 2004.
“The last Labor government made a mistake in not adopting transitory arrangements when 10 new countries, including Poland, the Czech Republic and Hungary joined the EU in 2004,“ David Hanson said.
He was speaking in a debate on the so-called rebel amendment to the UK Immigration Bill, which would ban Romanian and Bulgarian migrants until 2019.
Ten years ago, when Britain was one of only three countries to open its doors to them, the government assured voters that just a few tens of thousands would come, and probably not for long.
Instead more than half a million arrived, many of whom settled down and had children.
Under current EU agreements, the government cannot extend the arrangements beyond their expiry at the end of the year, but the MPs are calling for them to be extended until the end of 2018.
- » Le Point: Mariya Gabriel is One of the Most Actively Working Commissioners
- » Informal Meeting of EU Foreign Ministers Starts Today in Sofia
- » German Politician Opposed the Accession of Bulgaria to Schengen
- » The Website of the Bulgarian Presidency is Translated Automatically into 24 Languages
- » An Informal Meeting of Tourism Ministers From the European Union will be Held Today in Sofia
- » Maria Gabriel: There is no Reason For not Accepting Bulgaria in Schengen
Big of them hey. Personally prefer Polish people to those the Labour governments allowed in prior. The face of the UK has been changed for ever by the mass immigration encouragd by labour. The towns are now mini Islamabads and Delhi's, Lahores and Karachi's. Fast food outlets pollute the air with the stench of curries and mountains of garbage contaminate areas that once smelt of nothing more than fish & chips. It is the alien cultures
that Brotons are forced to absorb, few of those cultures try to intigrate. Education is turmoil with some schools having over 50 ethnic languages. It is a crazy situation.