Bulgaria's Population, Fastest Shrinking Worldwide - Report
Bulgaria has the most rapidly shrinking population in the world, according to the country's Center for Demographic Policy.
The Bulgarian population is decreasing by 8 people per day, according to prof. Petar Ivanov from the Center.
"From a total of 9 M people, the number has dropped to 6.98 M. The World Bank's trustworthy statistics show that in 2050, Bulgarians will be no more than 4 M", Ivanov said in front of bTV.
Bulgaria is the only country in the world which has maintained a negative population growth in the last 23 years, assoc. prof. Georgi Bardarov of the Faculty of Geology and Geography in Sofia University added.
Prof. Todor Kaloyanov of the University of National and World Economy in Sofia emphasized that the tendency was not normal, particularly because of the length of period during which it was observed.
"This is an objective tendency which began 90 years ago. According to the demographic transition theory, we have reached the fourth stage of low birth rate and high mortality. Experts expected that reproduction would recover, however something surprising has happened", prof. Kaloyanov explained.
According to prof. Bardarov, the youth unemployment rates in Bulgaria are an important aspect of the demographic crisis.
- » Bulgaria's GERB Spent BGN 1.4B on Pensions – Deputy Health Minister
- » Bulgaria To Spend Another BGN 35 M On Refugees
- » 56% of Bulgarians Say Religion Has a Positive Role in Society
- » Bulgaria's Population Decreasing and Aging – NSI
- » Aspiring Member States Risk Violating EU Pollution Limits
- » European Parliament To Impose Restrictions On Plastic Bags