Iran Says It Sent 2nd Monkey to Space
Iran has claimed that it has successfully sent a monkey into space for the second time this year.
"In total, this is the 2nd monkey sent into space & returned in perfect health to #Iran. I congratulate the Leader, scientists & the nation," President Hassan Rouhani said on Twitter on Saturday.
The monkey's name is Fargam, a combination of two Farsi words "auspicious" and "luck." Fargam was launched 75 miles (120 kilometers) up into space and back in the 15-minute mission, Iranian state news agency IRNA has reported, as cited by CNN.
Iran's space program has raised concern among Western countries, with some fearing the technology could be used in ballistic missiles.
Iran is already under international scrutiny over the scope of its nuclear program, which opponents say aims to develop nuclear weaponry.
- » Ukrainian Parliament Recommends Resumption Of Mandatory Conscription
- » Putin Admits “Little Green Men” in Crimea Were Russian Troops
- » Two Thirds of Rebel Fighters In Syria Are European Citizens
- » Putin Considers Ukrainians, Russians 'Same People'
- » Separatists Reportedly Ordered Donetsk Jews to Register Or Be Deported
- » Presidential Elections Under Way in Algeria