Bulgaria's Ludogorets Finish Europa Group Undefeated
Bulgaria's champions Ludogorets Razgrad defeated Dinamo Zagreb 2:1 in the final group game of the Europa League.
The game in Zagreb was practically irrelevant for both sides, since Ludogorets had assured themselves the 1st spot, while Dinamo would remain last regardless of the score.
The Bulgarians looked the stronger side throughout most of the match, despite playing with several of their reserve players.
Dani Abalo put the Razgrad team ahead in the 27th minute, after a slick pass from Marcelinho. Duje Cop equalized for the Croatians after a corner kick in the last minute of the first half.
Both sides considerably dropped the tempo during the second half, but a masterfully constructed attack by Ludogorets in the 72nd minute, led to the winning goal by Slovenian striker Roman Bezjak.
With 5 wins and 1 draw, and only 2 conceded goals, Ludogorets became the 2nd best team in all of the groups, only behind Red Bull Salzburg, who topped their group with 6 wins.
This is the best ever performance by a Bulgarian team in the group stage of a European competition.
- » Legendary Martin Petrov to Retire in Summer
- » Ferrer Eliminates Dimitrov from Monte Carlo Masters
- » Bulgaria’s Dimitrov to Face Third Consecutive Spaniard
- » Bulgaria Bids to Host Homeless World Cup 2016
- » Difficult, But Successful Start for Dimitrov in Monte Carlo
- » Georgi Mladenov Becomes Bulgaria’s National Basketball Coach