European Commission to Lead South Stream Talks with Russia
The European Commission will lead the negotiations with Russia over the South Stream gas pipeline.
This became clear after Bulgaria’s Economy and Energy Minister Dragomir Stoynev met in Brussels with his counterparts from the other countries where the pipeline will pass, as well as EU Energy Commissioner Gunther Oettinger.
Last week, the Commission urged member states to renegotiate their agreements with Russia in order to comply them with EU laws.
“This project will go through, it only depends how. In order to avoid the situation, where every country separately negotiates with Russia, there must be a leading commissioner”, stated Stoynev, cited by bTV.
Stoynev urged the EC to refrain from employing double standards when addressing the North Stream and South Stream projects, both of which are led by Gazprom.
“This is an extremely important project for Bulgaria. It will open thousands of jobs and stimulate economic growth. We will not give it up”, added the Energy Minister.
- » Construction of Bulgaia's Gas Link with Greece to Start End-2014
- » Audit at Power Distributor CEZ 'Showed No Lapse'
- » Large Bulgarian Companies Buy Electricity from Abroad
- » Germany Starts Gas Deliveries to Ukraine
- » Belene NPP 'to Be Built,' Vows Bulgaria's Ruling Party MP
- » Energy Ministry Blames GERB Govt for Debts of Bulgarian Power Co