Ukrainian EuroMaydan Activists Surrounded by 'Berkut'
Force structures associates, soldiers and the Special units 'Berkut' have surrounded the Independence square in Kiev, Ukraine.
According to the protesters, they are expected to storm the House of the Unions where the EuroMaydan activists are housed, Liga Novosti informed.
'Berkrut' buses have stopped the traffic on 'Kreshtatik' Blvd. Several hundreds of fully armed soldiers are deployed in front of the buses. A number of streets in the downtown of Kiev have been closed off.
Meanwhile, the Interior Ministry reported that Evromaydan activists have been causing traffic jams, closing off streets.
Therefore, the Kiev police again drew attention to the fact that "the actions of the participants in the peaceful demonstrations must not violate the rights of other citizens." Blocking vehicles movement is punishable, police representatives added.
Earlier Monday protesters in the Ukrainian capital Kiev elected Nikolay Katerinchuk from the opposition party Batkivshchyna (Fatherland) a "revolutionary commandant" of the city.
Hundreds of thousands of people have been protesting in Kiev's Independence Square against the decision of President Viktor Yanukovich and his government to back out of a strategic deal with the EU and seek closer ties with Russia.
- » Residents of France's Brittany Stage Rally to Demand Greater Autonomy
- » Christians Celebrate Easter, Pope Blesses World
- » South Korean Families Protest Over 'Slow' Rescue Operation
- » Five Dead In a Shooting in Slaviansk
- » Ukraine Announces ‘Easter Truce’
- » Russia’s Demand to Kiev to Settle Gas Debt Not Related to Politics