Bulgarian Socialists Breaking Belene NPP Promise, Says Ex-IM
Former Interior Minister Rumen Petkov claims that the Bulgarian Socialist Party is breaking its election promises regarding the Belene nuclear project.
The socialist ex-Interior Minister insists that there was no contradiction between the projects of Kozloduy NPP and Belene NPP. Petkov accused BSP of neglecting the Belene project.
According to him, the U.S. interest to have an American unit in Bulgaria was transparent.
"The Russian interest is also obvious. We should formulate our interest, as well", Petkov told NovaTV.
"The costs, the conditions and the Bulgarian taxpayers' liability concerning the new unit of Kozloduy NPP are unclear", he added.
Petkov commented that the Bulgarian Energy Strategy very clearly stipulated putting into operation of 2,000 MW of nuclear power capacity.
"Neglecting the Belene NPP project will backfire on us at the EU elections" Petkov warned.
- » EU Energy Commissioner Opposes Breaking Gas Ties with Russia
- » Unit 5 of Bulgaria's Kozloduy NPP Stopped for Annual Overhaul
- » EU Does Not Consider South Stream Priority – Official
- » Russian Energy Minister: We Will Proceed with South Stream
- » Bulgaria Will Fight for South Stream Gas Pipeline – Energy Minister
- » Bulgaria's Foreign Minister: Gas Supply Disruptions Not Ruled Out