Lavrov: Europe Waxes Hysterical over Ukraine's Sovereign Choice
Some European leaders are overplaying in their reaction to Ukraine's decision to pull out of signing an Association Agreement with the EU, said Russia's Foreign Affairs Minister Sergey Lavrov.
Thursday Lavrov spoke after the ministerial meeting of the OSCE held in Ukrainian capital Kiev, reported RIA Novosti.
"To shout: "You did not join our economic structure, so we support peaceful protests against your decision!" is, quite amazing, to say the least," said the Russian top diplomat.
"This situation is connected with the hysteria taken up by some Europeans in connection with the fact that Ukraine, using its sovereign right, decided at the present moment not to sign some agreement that Ukrainian authorities and experts considered as not beneficial," added he.
Lavrov stressed that Russia's position is that the move is a matter of Ukraine's own sovereign choice that is not to be questioned.
"We are calling for the avoidance of all unwarranted actions that could breach acting legislation. We would like to see the situation fully return in its constitutional framework," added the Russian Minister of Foreign Affairs.
- » South Korean Ferry Death Toll Tops 150
- » Lavrov Warns Russia Could Act in Ukraine as It Did in Georgia
- » Possible Malaysian Plane Debris Found in Australia
- » Ukraine's 'Anti-Terrorist' Operation Continues
- » Crimean Tatar Leader Barred from Entering Russia
- » Russia Bans Military and Police from Traveling Abroad