US Backs Ukrainian Pro-EU Protests
US Assistant Secretary of State Victoria Nuland stated that the US backs the Ukrainian pro-EU oriented activists.
"We support the Ukrainian people who see their future in Europe. This is Ukraine's moment to meet the aspirations of its people or disappoint them," Nuland added at the OSCE meeting in Kiev Thursday.
She warned against the risk of chaos and violence in the country, after over the weekend protesters clashed with riot police.
US Secretary of State John Kerry canceled his participation in the OSCE meeting, but he voiced his support for the Ukrainian opposition at a visit in Moldova Wednesday, saying that Ukrainians deserve "the opportunity to choose their own future".
Last Friday, Moldova, joined by Georgia - but unlike Ukraine - signed an Association Agreement with the EU at the Eastern Partnership summit in Vilnius.
Ukraine's decision not to sign a deal on closer EU ties has prompted the biggest protests since the 2004 Orange Revolution with thousands of demonstrators barricading themselves on Kiev's main square amid police violence.
- » Floods Cause State of Emergency in 11 Serbian Municipalities
- » Turkish PM Inaugurates Drilling for Eurasia Tunnel
- » Austria to Receive 1000 Extra Refugees
- » Residents of France's Brittany Stage Rally to Demand Greater Autonomy
- » Christians Celebrate Easter, Pope Blesses World
- » South Korean Families Protest Over 'Slow' Rescue Operation