Westerwelle: EU Still Hopes to See Ukraine Joining
German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle has assured that the gates of Europe are still open for Ukraine.
"The gates of the European Union are still open. Ukraine has to be on board in Europe and the offers from Europe are still valid," Westerwelle has told reporters.
He said the demonstrations are “an impressive commitment to Europe” by hundreds of thousands of people in Ukraine.
Massive rallies have taken place in Ukraine over the past two weeks.
The demonstrations erupted after the government refused to sign a key political and trade agreement with the EU under pressure from Russia.
Protesters are demanding the resignation of President Viktor Yanukovych's government and new elections.
- » Floods Cause State of Emergency in 11 Serbian Municipalities
- » Turkish PM Inaugurates Drilling for Eurasia Tunnel
- » Austria to Receive 1000 Extra Refugees
- » Residents of France's Brittany Stage Rally to Demand Greater Autonomy
- » Christians Celebrate Easter, Pope Blesses World
- » South Korean Families Protest Over 'Slow' Rescue Operation