Bulgarian Ex-PM: GERB Party Won't Table Berlusconi MEP Bid
Former Italian PM Silvio Berlusconi will not run for the European Parliament on the ticket of former Bulgarian ruling party GERB, stated GERB leader and former Bulgarian PM Boyko Borsiov.
Tuesday Bulgarian TV channel bTV came out with a report alleging that Berlusconi, who is banned from holding public office in Italy, is considering an MEP candidacy on behalf of a Bulgarian party in upcoming May 2014 European elections.
Borisov and Berlusconi are known to be on good terms, and their parties - GERB and People of Freedom - are members of the European People's Party.
"We have never talked about a Silvio Berlusconi MEP candidacy from Bulgaria," said the former Bulgarian PM, using his Facebook account.
"GERB has very good MEPs, who for their most part will be our new candidates. I can resolutely say that Berlusconi will not be a GERB candidate," added Borisov.
- » MEPs Oppose South Stream, Seek Sanctions against Russian Energy Firms
- » EC Rejects Suspending Rural Development Payments to Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria "Could Remain EU's Poorest Country Even after 2020"
- » MEPs Seek Mandatory "Made-in" Labeling to Boost Product Safety
- » EP Approves Right to Basic Bank Account for All EU Residents
- » Bulgarian Foreign Minister Urges EU to Guarantee Russian Gas Supplies