Bulgarian Ex-PM: GERB Party Won't Table Berlusconi MEP Bid
Former Italian PM Silvio Berlusconi will not run for the European Parliament on the ticket of former Bulgarian ruling party GERB, stated GERB leader and former Bulgarian PM Boyko Borsiov.
Tuesday Bulgarian TV channel bTV came out with a report alleging that Berlusconi, who is banned from holding public office in Italy, is considering an MEP candidacy on behalf of a Bulgarian party in upcoming May 2014 European elections.
Borisov and Berlusconi are known to be on good terms, and their parties - GERB and People of Freedom - are members of the European People's Party.
"We have never talked about a Silvio Berlusconi MEP candidacy from Bulgaria," said the former Bulgarian PM, using his Facebook account.
"GERB has very good MEPs, who for their most part will be our new candidates. I can resolutely say that Berlusconi will not be a GERB candidate," added Borisov.
- » Bulgaria Reimbursed by EC for BGN 957M Aid Scheme for Farmers
- » Bulgaria, Romania Agree to Back Serbia's EU Bid
- » Bulgarians Among Most Frequently Expelled from Belgium in 2012
- » exPM Complains of Political Repression in Bulgaria to EC VicePresident
- » EU Funding to Boost Bulgaria's E-Governance
- » Bulgarian MEP Warns of Negative Impact of EU Visa Sanctions on Russia