Romania's Halep Wins WTA Tournament of Champions in Bulgaria
Top-seeded Romanian Simona Halep lived up to the high expectations at the Tournament of Champions final in Sofia, defeating former US Open champion Samantha Stosur 2-6 6-2 6-2.
Cheered up by numerous fans from neighboring Romania, 22-year-old Halep grabbed her sixth title of the year after an exciting match, a season-ending WTA event at the Armeets Arena in Sofia.
The victory brought her a cheque for USD 270,000 and lifted her three places in the world rankings to No. 11 in Monday's WTA rankings.
"I want to thank all my supporters here, who came to support me and helped me win the title," Halep said.
Halep repeatedly moved Stosur into the corners and finished off several points with perfect shots down the line.
"It was a tough match, Simona was too good today," Stosur said. "I want to congratulate her. For me, it's time to get some rest."
By winning six trophies this year, Halep is second only to Serena Williams, who won 11.
- » Bulgaria’s Pulev to Face American Joey Abell
- » World Cup 2014 Groups Drawn
- » Bulgaria's Pulev Opponent Pulls Out of Upcoming Fight
- » Russia's Zenit Latest in Line for Bulgarian Youngster
- » Fulham Coach Praises Bulgaria's Berbatov, Rules out Transfer Rumors
- » Berbatov to Seek Fulham Exit in January - Report