Forbes Names Putin as World’s Most Powerful Person
Russian President Vladimir Putin was named the most powerful person on the planet by Forbes magazine Wednesday.
Forbes said that Putin, who ranked third last year, showed his dominance in diplomatic maneuvring during the international crisis over Syria, and the fate of fugitive US intelligence contractor Edward Snowden who was given asylum in Russia.
US President Barack Obama (No. 2) dropped from the number one spot, followed by General Secretary, Communist Party of China Xi Jinping (No. 3), Pope Francis (No.4) and German Chancellor Angela Merkel (No. 5).
Rounding out the Top 10 are Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Co-chair Bill Gates (No. 6), US Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke (No. 7), Saudi Arabia King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz (No. 8), European Central Bank President Mario Draghi (No. 9 ), and the highest ranking active business person on the list – Wal-Mart CEO Michael Duke (No. 10).
Forbes took four factors into account to select the world’s most powerful 72 people: how many people they have power over; the financial resources they control; if they have influence in more than one sphere; and how actively they wield their power to change the world.
- » Ukraine's Security Service to Investigate Attempts at Coup'd Etat
- » Protesters in Kiev Build Barricade in front of Govt HQ
- » Czech PM 'Dreads' Attending Mandela's Funeral
- » South Africa Holds Day of Prayer for Late Mandela
- » Kiev Braces for Huge Pro-EU Protest Sunday
- » WTO Approves Historic Trade Package
Mephisto, please don't forget Sa-sha's excellent contribution to the general hilarity. I believe an upcoming front page article contains information of world-wide importance regarding The Great Leader's breakfast habits and bowel movements, the latter being of great value to the Brown-Nose Brigade....
Look, Freedie, tastes differ, sure, everybody has the own idea about "international prestige and credibility", but the obvious facts are: RT is the only real counterweight to the World media leaders, RT is the first news channel in the World to break the 1 billion YouTube views benchmark and RT is more and more popular in many countries, including USA (RT is Foreign Channel №1 in Washington, New York, Chicago, Frisco, Los Angeles...).
Forbes, who cares about that magazine? They are just garbage.
This is like CNN, Time n other western useless crap!
Pope on the list? What is this, the middle ages?
Bill Gates, Win 8 sucks, why is he there?
This is just nonsense, just like that useless Nobel peace price, EU, Obama, Arafat, etc etc.
These people behind all these things, they live in a bubble, it's just sad how pathetic they are.
Putin suggested Syria give up chems, oh the WORLD POWER!...
Hi, Peter! Some remarks, if You allow:
(1) To be named №1 by Forbes...and to have permanent Forbes' macho-favorite Barak right close by! My Lord, what on earth to be happy/pleased with? ;-)
(2) Hope (also seriously) that just Barak and his allies UK, France, Turkey, Saudia, Qatar...leant something over.
(3) And, sure, better to do all possible and impossible for "taking people along with you"...despite all the permanent
desire of that "people" to kill and the tough resistence of the same people to the common sense.