Sofia Students Plan Parliament Blockade Wednesday
University students in Sofia have scheduled a blockade of the Parliament building and the surrounding streets for Wednesday morning.
The day marks 1 week from the initial occupation of the largest hall in the Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski” by anti-government protesters. Subsequently, the whole central university building came under student occupation.
“We believe in their right to civil disobedience. We support them as we go head to head with this illegitimate authority. Everyone has a right to protest. Let’s turn it into a civil model”, wrote some of the organizers of the protest on social media Facebook.
The students initially called for the resignation of the Constitutional Court Chairman Prof. Dimitar Tokushev, who is a lecturer at the Sofia University, over the controversial reinstatement of media mogul Delyan Peevski as a member of Parliament.
Later, the student protests turned into an outright defiance of the whole government of PM Plamen Oresharski.
- » Bulgaria's Employment Agency Head Sacked
- » Bulgaria President to Analyze Budget 2014 before Veto Decision
- » Bulgarian Opposition Want Parliament Vice-Speaker Fired
- » Bulgarian Students Protest against Interior Ministry Draft
- » Bulgarian PM: No Political Purge of Protesting Administration
- » Bulgaria Rules Out Fencing Entire Border with Turkey