Hundreds Join Fresh Anti-Government Rally in Sofia
Hundreds of Bulgarians joined Monday an anti-corruption rally demanding the resignation of the country’s Socialist-led government.
The demonstrators gathered in front of Sofia University in downtown Sofia and expressed their support for the protesting students who have occupied the university since last week.
The students reiterated that they would not give up until the government resigns.
The demonstrations were prompted by the shocking appointment of shady media mogul Delyan Peevski as head of the country’s powerful State Agency for National Security back in June. The appointment was canceled, but protesters proceeded to demand the government’s resignation over its suspected ties with oligarchs.
The protests have been energized by the occupation of Sofia University by angry students last Wednesday.
- » Bulgaria to Lift Bank Secrect in Conflict of Interest Cases
- » Bulgarian PM Predicts Economic Growth in 2014
- » Bulgarian MPs OK Party Subsidy Cut by BGN 1
- » Ex MP of Bulgaria's GERB Vows Independence, Not to Join Socialists
- » Socialist MP: Bulgaria's Parliament Won't Complete 4-Year Term
- » 50 Sign Founding Declaration of New Bulgarian 'Pomak' Party