472 Asylum Seekers Enter Bulgaria in 3 Days
A total of 472 asylum seekers have entered Bulgaria through its border with Turkey over the past 3 days, according to the Bulgarian Interior Ministry. ‘
343 of them are Syrian, the Ministry says.
Bulgaria has the capacity to accommodate about 5 000, while over 6 500 refugees have arrived in the country since the beginning of 2013, with local authorities expecting the number to exceed 11 000 by the end of the year.
The total capacity of 4 090 in the shelters under the authority of the Interior Ministry and the State Agency for Refugees has been exceeded by 551 beds.
Bulgaria is the gateway to the European Union for refugees fleeing Syria via Turkey, many crossing the border illegally to seek asylum.
The country has asked and will receive EU aid in order to deal with the ongoing refugee influx.
The fence that Bulgarian authorities are building over a section of the Bulgarian-Turkish border will be ready by February next year.
- » 4 People Dead, 15 Injured in Road Accidents During the Past Day
- » Code Yellow Warning Issued Over Heavy Rain in 18 Bulgarian Districts
- » 3 People Dead, 23 Injured in Road Accidents During Past Day
- » 100 Bulgarian Books Were Introduced to the Library of Congress in Washington D.C
- » Bulgarian Christians Celebrate Ascension of Christ
- » International Poetry Festival Begins Today in Plovdiv