Bulgaria-Turkey Border Fence to be Ready by Feb 2014
The fence that Bulgarian authorities are building over a section of the Bulgarian-Turkish border will be ready by February next year, according to Bulgaria's Defense Minister Angel Naydenov.
The facility is a 30 km wire fence between the towns of Lesovo and Kraynovo, and is intended to thwart the entry of illegal migrants into Bulgaria via that section.
"The reason for us to build this fence is the very complicated terrain of the area, which renders difficult our efforts to monitor the territory and to react quickly," said Naydenov in an interview for Darik Radio.
The Minister of Defense said that at present the section of the border is guarded using thermo monitoring and border police patrols, as well as army units.
Since weeks, the Bulgarian-Turkish border has been crossed by thousands of asylum seekers, most of them coming from Syria, as hostilities there intensify.
- » Bulgaria to Send Commando Unit to Afghanistan
- » Bulgaria Says It Will Cope with Refugee Influx 'Within Weeks'
- » Bulgaria's Border Fence Operation Going as Planned - Defense Min
- » Interior: 8 000 Await Refugee Status in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria to Participate in NATO's Resolute Support for Afghanistan
- » Bulgarian President Calls Security Council over Refugee Crisis