Blond Angel Discovery in Bulgaria 'Vindication for Many Roma'
DNA tests confirmed Friday that the mystery blonde girl who was taken from a Roma couple caring for her in Greece is in fact of Roma descent, a true vindication for the minority, according to Time magazine.
“The discovery is a vindication to many Roma after the high-profile case provoked prejudiced allegations of child-snatching,” said the article.
It came after DNA tests proved that the little girl, named Maria, is the daughter of a Bulgarian Roma woman who gave her away because she was too poor to provide for her.
The Roma couple found caring for Maria were charged with abducting a minor and falsifying documents. It is not yet clear whether those charges will be dropped.
- » Bulgaria on Alert for Strong Winds, Snow
- » Bulgarian Orthodox Church Honors St Anna
- » Bulgarian Composer Dobrinka Tabakova Nominated for Grammy Awards 2014
- » Only 20% of Bulgarian Roma Have Jobs – Study
- » 62% of Bulgarians against Accepting More Refugees – Poll
- » Protesting Bulgarian Students with 'College Day' Action