Boxer Vitali Klitschko to Run for Ukrainian Presidency
WBC heavyweight boxing champion Vitali Klitschko has revealed his plans to run for President of Ukraine in the 2015 elections.
Vitali, who is the older brother of current WBA and IBF heavyweight champion Wladimir, debuted in Ukrainian politics shortly after his retirement in 2005. He founded the Ukrainian Democratic Alliance for Reform, UDAR (meaning hit/punch in Ukrainian), and ran for the 2006 mayoral elections in Kiev.
Klitschko's party won 14% of the vote in last year's parliamentary elections, earning him 40 seats in the Verkhovna Rada (Ukraine's Parliament).
- » Italy's Govt Removes State Subsidies for Political Parties as of 2017
- » Medvedev Urges Ukraine to Overcome ‘Tectonic Split’
- » Thousands Wait to Pay Final Respects to Mandela
- » Romanian Super-Immunity Bill Causes Turmoil
- » Facebook Introduces New Auto-Playing Videos Feature
- » Pro-EU Protesters in Kiev Resolute to Keep Rallying