Romania Could Veto EU-Canada FTA Over Visa Regime
Romania says it will not ratify the EU-Canada Free Trade Agreement until the North American country lifts its visa regime for Romanian nationals.
Foreign Minister Titus Corlatean stated that under the principle of reciprocity, Canada should lift visa requirements for all EU states (including Romania), the same way that Canadians can freely travel in the whole EU.
"The fact that visa requirements for Czech citizens were lifted, in the context of the EU-Canada FTA, is an important precedent for Romania", added Corlatean, cited by Adevarul.
Romania and Bulgaria are the only EU countries whose citizens require visas for traveling to Canada.
Last week, European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso and Canadian PM Stephen Harper signed an agreement, which would eliminate tariffs, encourage foreign investment and promote the movement of labor.
In order to come into effect, the FTA must be ratified by the governments of all 28 EU member states.
- » Protesters in Kiev Topple Lenin Monument
- » Ukraine's Security Service to Investigate Attempts at Coup'd Etat
- » Protesters in Kiev Build Barricade in front of Govt HQ
- » Czech PM 'Dreads' Attending Mandela's Funeral
- » South Africa Holds Day of Prayer for Late Mandela
- » Kiev Braces for Huge Pro-EU Protest Sunday