Bulgaria Should Keep Open Borders, Says UNHCR Spokesman
Introducing barriers like fences or walls at borders can exacerbate problems, believes the spokesperson for the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) in Bulgaria.
"We understand the government's concern that this 30km stretch along the border is particularly perilous and the coming winter will aggravate the already tough crossing conditions. However it is also important that people can access the territory to seek international protection", said Boris Cheshirkov in an interview for Novinite.com.
The UNHCR encourages Bulgaria to continue pursuing an open-border policy, and is willing to provide any necessary technical assistance to the relevant institutions.
"We welcome the recent efforts of the State Agency for Refugees to improve the reception conditions for asylum-seekers, and we will continue visiting the centres and sharing our observations", added Cheshirkov.
You can read the whole interview HERE.
- » UK Revamps Olympics 2012 Emergency Plans over Bulgarians, Romanians
- » Bulgaria FM: EU Must Boost Incentives to Post-Soviet Countries
- » Ukraine to Send EU-Integration Envoys to Brussels
- » Bulgarians Rally in London against Anti-Immigrant Policies
- » EU’s 1st Ever Legal Instrument for Roma Inclusion Adopted
- » Domino’s Pizza CEO Defends Bulgarians against Immigration Hysteria