Thousands Respond to Greece's Mysterious Girl Plea
More than 8,000 calls have made to a Greek charity after an appeal to discover the identity of a young blonde girl found living on a Greek Roma settlement.
DNA tests revealed the child, known as Maria and aged about four, was not related to the couple she lived with.
The Smile of the Child charity group is now working with Greek authorities, Interpol and Europol to reveal the child’s real identity.
"At least eight calls have some information that can be used by the police for further investigation," Smile of the Child spokesman Panagiotis Pardalis said Sunday, as cited by CNN.
Police have suggested that the girl may be from a northern or eastern European country - from Scandinavia or from Bulgaria.
The two people posing as the girl’s parents have been arrested and face charges of abducting a minor, as well as counts of falsifying identity documents.
- » Homemade Bomb Goes Off near Sofia Court House
- » Crime, Tax Fraud Drained USD 2.5 B from Bulgaria in 2002-2011
- » Bulgarian Town Hall Raided by Police
- » Bulgarian Disco Club Double Murderer Could be Hiding in UK
- » Bulgarian Foreign Ministry Computers Hacked by China - Report
- » Sofia Court to Review 'Cocaine King' Extradition to Romania