Arson Suspected in Huge Farm Fire in Bulgaria
A huge fire broke out in a farm with 600 sheep in southern Bulgaria.
The blaze happened at the Tsarnogor site, close to the village of Karnalovo, near the town of Petrich.
The fire occurred shortly after 7:30 pm on Saturday and there were no shepherds at the site, which is a former base of the farm cooperative from the time of the Socialist regime.
However, owners, workers and friends have immediately begun effort to extinguish the flames, and were joined a little later by firefighter teams from Petrich. The battle with the blaze lasted all night, Standard News writes.
Firefighters continued to extinguish the smoldering 11 000 bales of hay Sunday morning. 50 animals were killed; the others were saved by the swift intervention of the farmers who opened the door of the barn first.
Owners are adamant that this was a case of arson, and police and firefighters' probe is following this exact lead. .
- » Two Policemen Arrested in Sofia for Brutal Beating
- » Bulgarian Sentenced to 11 Y Jail in Romania for Espionage
- » Syrian Attacker of Bulgarian Shopkeeper Charged
- » Bulgarians among Top Complainants with Strasbourg Court
- » Bulgarian Woman Assaulted in Thessaloniki, Claims Rape
- » New 'Refugee' Incident Reported in Bulgarian Capital