Homophobes Assault Dutch Diplomat in Moscow - Report
A senior diplomat at the Dutch embassy in Moscow has been beaten up in his flat by unknown assailants.
The diplomat, named by Russian media as Onno Elderenbosch, was tied up by men posing as electricians, according to reports.
The attackers reportedly drew a large pink heart on a mirror and scrawled 'LGBT' beneath it – suggesting a homophobic motive.
The incident is likely to worsen relations between Russia and the Netherlands, which have been strained by the brief detention of a Russian diplomat in The Hague earlier this month, for which the Netherlands apologized, and Russia’s September seizure of a Dutch-registered Greenpeace ship in the Arctic and arrest of all 30 people on board.
Russia has opened a criminal investigation into the case, RIA Novosti informs.
- » US Considers Sanctions against Ukraine
- » Ukrainian PM Asks 20 B from EU to Ink Association Deal
- » Defiant Pro-EU Protesters in Kiev Rebuild Barricades
- » 3 Czech Parties Ink Coalition Agreement
- » Ukrainian Govt Denies Joining Russia's Customs Union
- » Kiev Riot Police Withdraws, Attempt to Oust Protesters Fails