Bulgarian Football Body Hails Coach Penev Despite Defeat
Bulgaria coach Lyuboslav Penev is likely to remain at his post despite the team’s failure to qualify for a World Cup playoff.
On Tuesday, Bulgaria lost its final qualifying game 0:1 to the Czech Republic, forfeiting slim chances to qualify for Brazil.
The Balkan team finished fourth in qualifying Group B, despite holding the second spot for most of the campaign.
But Bulgarian Football Union head Borislav Mihaylov has insisted that the national quad has made a significant progress with Penev at its helm.
“Penev is the star of this team,” Mihaylov told reporters after the game.
“He has my support, and the support of the people. So do not worry,” he said, adding that talks will be held with the coach to renew his contract.
- » World Cup 2014 Groups Drawn
- » Bulgaria's Pulev Opponent Pulls Out of Upcoming Fight
- » Russia's Zenit Latest in Line for Bulgarian Youngster
- » Fulham Coach Praises Bulgaria's Berbatov, Rules out Transfer Rumors
- » Berbatov to Seek Fulham Exit in January - Report
- » Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov Makes It to ATP's Hottest Shots of 2013