Sicily Migrant Boat Death Toll Rises to 34
The death toll for a boat carrying migrants that capsized between Sicily and Tunisia on Friday had risen to 34, according to officials.
A total of 206 people have been rescued, international media say.
The boat sank about 60 nautical miles south of Sicily on Friday.
Earlier this week, another boat carrying more than 500 African migrants sank off the coast of Lampedusa. Over 300 people died in the disaster.
According to estimates by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, around 32,000 migrants have arrived in southern Italy and Malta so far this year, about two thirds of whom have filed asylum requests.
- » Ukrainian PM Asks 20 B from EU to Ink Association Deal
- » Defiant Pro-EU Protesters in Kiev Rebuild Barricades
- » 3 Czech Parties Ink Coalition Agreement
- » Ukrainian Govt Denies Joining Russia's Customs Union
- » Kiev Riot Police Withdraws, Attempt to Oust Protesters Fails
- » Ashton Witnesses Kiev Clashes, Impressed by Ukrainians' Firmness