PES Urges EU to Aid Member States over Refugee Influx
The Party of European Socialists has urged the EU to aid the member states most affected by the refugee influx from Syria, according to PES President Sergei Stanishev.
“I am delighted with the fact that we approved a declaration that urges the EU to mobilize its capacity and resources and support the member states that are under a strong migrant pressure, including Bulgaria,” Stanishev told Bulgarian reporters after returning to his home country from a PES sitting in Brussels.
The declaration says that all countries involved should agree to first and foremost defend the civil population of Syria and allow the unhindered deliveries of humanitarian aid.
Meanwhile, it was made clear that the European Commission would to decide in days on the amount of financial aid Bulgaria will get in its efforts to deal with the ongoing refugee influx.
Bulgarian officials have said the country may have to provide shelter for as many as 11,000 Syrians by the end of 2013.
- » Bulgaria's New MEPs to Stress Refugee Issues, Eurozone Accession
- » Bulgarian DPS Party Supports Georgieva's EU Foreign Policy Chief Bid
- » EIB to Assist Bulgarian Railway Infrastructure Co in Tariff Formation
- » EC Approves Bulgaria's Public Procurement Strategy 2014-2020
- » EU Regional Policy Commissioner: Bulgaria to Sign PA with EC Very Soon
- » Georgieva Is Bulgaria's EU Foreign Policy Chief Candidate - PM