EC Mulls How Much to Fork out to Bulgaria over Refugees
The European Commission is going to decide in days on the amount of financial aid Bulgaria will get in its efforts to deal with the ongoing refugee influx.
“The exact amount of financial aid will be known within ten days,” Ognian Zlatev, head of the European Commission's Representation in Sofia, told Nova TV on Saturday morning.
“We should bear in mind that even if the war ends tomorrow, the humanitarian crisis will drag on for a long time.”
Earlier this week European Commissioner for Home Affairs Cecilia Malmstrom noted during a meeting of the bloc’s Interior Ministers in Luxembourg that Bulgaria is among the countries most affected by the refugee wave from Syria.
Bulgaria, which shares a border with Turkey, is undertaking measures to accommodate all potential refugees that might arrive from Syria seeking shelters from the devastating civil war conflict.
Bulgarian officials have said the country may have to provide shelter for as many as 11,000 Syrians by the end of the year.
- » Bulgarian DPS Party Supports Georgieva's EU Foreign Policy Chief Bid
- » EIB to Assist Bulgarian Railway Infrastructure Co in Tariff Formation
- » EC Approves Bulgaria's Public Procurement Strategy 2014-2020
- » EU Regional Policy Commissioner: Bulgaria to Sign PA with EC Very Soon
- » Georgieva Is Bulgaria's EU Foreign Policy Chief Candidate - PM
- » Bulgaria's FM Vigenin 'to Be EU Commissioner Candidate'