Bulgarian 'FBI' Chief Rules Out Security Threat over Refugee Wave
The Chief of Bulgaria's State Agency for National Security, DANS, Vladimir Pisanchev, has firmly rejected reports of threats for the country's national security over the refugee wave.
Pisanchev spoke Thursday during a hearing before the parliamentary committee for control of special and intelligence agencies.
He admitted the existence of problems caused by the influx of Syrian nationals, fleeing their country's conflict and war and seeking asylum in Bulgaria, and explained them with the fact that Bulgaria never before had to deal with such large refugee wave.
Pisanchev noted that Bulgaria's intelligence has insufficient resources to identify people crossing the borders illegally and to find out who they really are, but nevertheless praised the good organization and partnership between DANS, the Prosecutor's Office and the Interior Ministry.
- » Bulgaria to Send Commando Unit to Afghanistan
- » Bulgaria Says It Will Cope with Refugee Influx 'Within Weeks'
- » Bulgaria's Border Fence Operation Going as Planned - Defense Min
- » Interior: 8 000 Await Refugee Status in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria to Participate in NATO's Resolute Support for Afghanistan
- » Bulgarian President Calls Security Council over Refugee Crisis
Surely the problem for Bulgaria is the apparently open border between itself and Turkey through which 'refugees' and undesirables are making their way freely into Europe. The same is true of Greece - and Italy - and Spain, although the last 2 involve migrants arriving by sea rather than across land borders