Venezuelan Sports Official Busted with Undeclared Cash in Bulgaria
The Venezuelan man who was busted carrying EUR 407 000 in undeclared cash through a Sofia airport last week has turned out to be a sports ministry official.
Jose Ovidio Almeida, who arrived on an October 2 flight from Caracas via Madrid, is no longer in custody but may not leave the country while prosecutors decide whether to bring charges.
A Venezuelan embassy official has told Reuters Almeida is a sports ministry official who was authorised to carry the money to pay for a training camp.
If found guilty, he faces a fine of double the amount of money involved, or up to six years in prison.
- » Bulgarian Linked to Gang Boss Murder in Amsterdam Shot at Home
- » 70 Illegal Immigrants Arrested on Bulgarian Border
- » Two Policemen Arrested in Sofia for Brutal Beating
- » Bulgarian Sentenced to 11 Y Jail in Romania for Espionage
- » Syrian Attacker of Bulgarian Shopkeeper Charged
- » Bulgarians among Top Complainants with Strasbourg Court