Bulgarian Energy Consultant Denies Wrongdoing
Bulgarian energy consultant Bogomil Manchev blamed ex-Prime Minister Boyko Borisov's cabinet and Marin Raykov's caretaker government for not stopping the Belene Nuclear Power Plant project.
The CEO of Risk Engineering gave a press conference just hours after he was officially charged with large-scale embezzlement and premeditated mismanagement of the project.
On September 20, Risk Engineering's offices were searched in a special police operation against suspected fraud in the energy sector. Manchev's company is accused of having embezzled millions of euros in consultancy deals for the project, despite the fact that its construction was stopped in March 2012.
Manchev outlined that the previous government had not blocked the commercial transactions for the project after this decision.
The prosecution, however, underscores that the moratorium on the project on the part of the government in essence means halting all activities related to it.
- » Homemade Bomb Goes Off near Sofia Court House
- » Crime, Tax Fraud Drained USD 2.5 B from Bulgaria in 2002-2011
- » Bulgarian Town Hall Raided by Police
- » Bulgarian Disco Club Double Murderer Could be Hiding in UK
- » Bulgarian Foreign Ministry Computers Hacked by China - Report
- » Sofia Court to Review 'Cocaine King' Extradition to Romania