1500 Refugees Need Urgent Aid in Bulgaria
A total of 1500 refugees based in Bulgaria are in urgent need of humanitarian aid, the Bulgarian Red Cross alarmed on Friday.
Bulgarian Red Cross representative Yasen Slivenski has told reporters that the organization will attempt to meet the basic needs of these 1500 people.
A further 500 refugees are in a vulnerable condition.
As asked by the country’s government, the Bulgarian Red Cross would approach the International Committee of the Red Cross in Geneva for assistance. The International Committee’s report is expected on Wednesday or Thursday. Additional aid may be received 72 hours after the report has been approved.
The refugees in the most urgent need of humanitarian aid are based in two asylum centers in Sofia and two asylum centers in the town of Elhovo, the Bulgarian Red Cross has said.
Bulgaria currently has the capacity to accommodate 5 000 refugees.
The capacity is expected to be reached in two days, as there are currently 4798 refugees in the country.
The Bulgarian Red Cross is raising funds for providing accommodations for refugees. Citizens can give BGN 1 by sending an SMS to the number 1466 available for all mobile networks in Bulgaria.
- » Refugees, Their Bulgarian Friends Become 'Human of Year' 2013
- » Bulgarian Nationalist Chief Stirs Fresh 'Lavish Life' Scandal
- » Bulgarian University People Protest by Building 'Book Wall'
- » Russian Businessmen to Turn Sofia Mall into Orthodox Christianity Museum - Report
- » Ennio Morricone to Delight Sofia Audience
- » Attack on Bulgaria's Dogan Makes AFP Pics of Year