Bulgaria Nearly Fills Refugee Accommodation Capacity
Bulgaria's capacity to accommodate refugees will be filled in the next two days according to Bulgarian Red Cross head Hristo Grigorov.
“At the current tempo, we can expect to exhaust our capabilities of sheltering refugees in two days”, said Grigorov at a press conference, cited by Focus agency.
He admitted that the crisis in Syria and the influx of asylum seekers has polarized Bulgarian society, but that one must show humanity in such situations.
“In my conversation with the refugees, I found out that over 2/3 of them would like to return to their home country once the conflict is over”, said Grigorov in response to popular fears that the refugees plan to remain in the country and exploit social benefits.
Bulgaria currently has the capacity to accommodate 5 000 refugees.
The Bulgarian Red Cross is raising funds for providing accommodations for refugees. Citizens can give BGN 1 by sending an SMS to the number 1466 available for all mobile networks.
- » Bulgaria's Fishermen, Bankers Honor St Nikolas
- » Heavy North European Storm Claims First Victims
- » Eight Protesters Detained in Bulgaria’s Capital Sofia
- » Two Bulgarian Students Arrested after Skirmishes with Police - Report
- » Tensions in Front of Parliament as Bulgarian Students Rally
- » 2013 First Group of Bulgarian Researches Sets Off for Antarctica