US, Russia Negotiate UN Resoultion on Syria
After weeks of disputes, Russia and the USA have reached agreement regarding the text of a UN Security Council draft resolution on Syria.
The resolution will oblige the Syrian government to hand over its chemical arsenal to be destroyed.
It also describes Syria's chemical weapons as a threat to international security.
The text further notes the Syrian government's stated willingness to hand them over.
The draft resolution envisions actions under Chapter 7 of UN's charter, should Syria fail to fulfill the requirements.
While the US favored immediate military intervention, Russia has pressed for more diplomatic efforts and careful consideration of steps taken.
- » Ashton Arrives in Kiev in Attempt to Mend Tensions
- » Another Lenin Statue Toppled in Ukraine
- » Crowds, Dignitaries Gather for Mandela Memorial Service
- » Scores Injured in Crackdown on Kiev Pro-EU Rally
- » Police Start Dismantling Protest Camps in Kiev
- » Ukrainian Opposition Party HQ Stormed by Police - Report