62 Asylum Seekers Detained on Bulgarian-Turkish Border in 1 Day
Bulgarian border police in the region of Elhovo have detained a total of 62 foreign nationals who were illegally crossing Bulgarian-Turkish border during the last 24 hours, the Interior Ministry announced.
The detainees included 48 Syrian nationals.
The total capacity of refugee shelters of the State Refugee Agency and of special homes of the Interior Ministry is 2350 beds. It has already been exceeded by 528 beds.
Bulgaria is undertaking measures to accommodate all potential refugees that might arrive from Syria seeking shelters from the devastating civil war conflict.
Bulgarian Red Cross raises funds for providing accommodations for the refugees. Citizens can give BGN 1 by sending an e-mail to the number 1466 available for all mobile networks.
Bulgarian officials have said the country may have to provide shelter for as many as 10,000 Syrians by the end of the year.
- » Father of Bulgarian Teenage Protester Faces Questioning
- » Bulgaria's Ex Royal Palace Remains State Property
- » Majority of Bulgarians Support Full Smoking Ban
- » Bulgaria's Fishermen, Bankers Honor St Nikolas
- » Heavy North European Storm Claims First Victims
- » Eight Protesters Detained in Bulgaria’s Capital Sofia