Bulgarian Nationalists Propose Russian-Style Anti-Gay Law
Bulgarian nationalist party Ataka has tabled a legislative proposal incriminating public the display of homosexuality.
This was revealed Saturday, on the day of the 6th annual Sofia Pride LGBT parade.
According to Ataka's press release the gay pride is "an ugly phenomenon alien to Bulgaria's national traditions and morality" that is being held "under pressure from outside of the country."
The party's legislative proposal, formulated as an amendment to the Criminal Code, runs as follows:
"Whoever shall publicly manifest his or her, or someone's else homosexual orientation or belonging, via organizing and participating in rallies, marches or parades, or via mass media or internet, shall be punished with confinement in prison for 1-5 years and a fine of BGN 5,000-10,000."
A similar, though seemingly milder, "anti-gay propaganda" legal provision recently adopted in Russia has provoked much international controversy.
- » Bulgaria’s ABV Party Backs Rumen Radev for President
- » Bulgaria Grants Refugee Status to 357 People in Jan-July 2016
- » Bulgarian Socialists Nominate Rumen Radev to Run in Presidential Elections 2016
- » Junior Coalition Partner Demands Explanation Why Bulgarian Govt Turned over Abdullah Buyuk to Turkey
- » Bulgaria to Set up Checkpoints on Minor Roads to Thwart Migrant Smuggling
- » Bulgaria Ready to Deploy More Troops to Help Border Police Cope with Migrant Influx - Defence Chief
"....a bad thing for the Bulgarian culture..."
Really? Worse than having a self-serving "government" of gangsters, thieves, opportunists and incompetents? Worse than than having a Legal System which whores itself to the highest bidder? Worse than seeing "businessmen" brazenly driving around in fancy cars bought with the money stolen by them and their parents? Worse than having an underclass of criminalised illiterates?
If Bulgarian culture is seriously threatened by a bunch of drag queens and bull-dykes parading through the streets then we're already finished, my friend....