Sofia City Prosecution Confirms Multiple 'Energy-Fraud' Raids
The Sofia City Prosecution confirmed earlier reports of a special police operation against violations in the energy sector.
BGNES published the official communication from the Prosecutor's office:
On 20.09.2013 the Prosecution, the State Agency for National Security (DANS), and the Ministry of Interior began a joint special police operation on the territories of Sofia, Pernik, Kozlodui, and Belene, directed by the Sofia City Prosecution.
On 09.08.2013, the Sofia City Prosecution formed pre-trial proceedings for embezzlement of large amounts, constituting a particularly aggravating offense, as well as deliberate neglect. The main cause of investigation are payments by the National Electric Company (NEK) for consulting services regarding the Belene NPP project, which was halted in March 2012.
At 8:30 AM on Friday morning, simultaneous raids were conducted in office buildings and households in Sofia, Pernik, Kozlodui, and Belene. The operation was initiated after the Prosecution received tipoffs from DANS regarding planned actions for destroying and concealing documents related to the subject of investigation.
In view of the nature of the case, the Prosecution will not disclose further facts at this stage. They will be made available only after charges have been pressed.
- » Homemade Bomb Goes Off near Sofia Court House
- » Crime, Tax Fraud Drained USD 2.5 B from Bulgaria in 2002-2011
- » Bulgarian Town Hall Raided by Police
- » Bulgarian Disco Club Double Murderer Could be Hiding in UK
- » Bulgarian Foreign Ministry Computers Hacked by China - Report
- » Sofia Court to Review 'Cocaine King' Extradition to Romania