Russia Still Believes Syria Chemical Attack Was 'Provocation'
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has stated that the chemical weapons attack in the suburbs of Damascus on August 21 could have been a “provocation” staged by rebels.
The Russian Foreign Minister cautioned against drawing too many conclusions from the UN report, which determined that sarin gas had been responsible for the deaths of hundreds of Syrian civilians.
“We want the events of August 21 to be investigated dispassionately, objectively, and professionally. We have a serious basis on which to suggest that this was a provocation,” Lavrov said after meeting with his French counterpart Laurent Fabius in Moscow on Tuesday.
Lavrov said “the truth must be found, and it will be the litmus test for the future work of the security council”.
He said each episode of alleged chemical weapons use must be examined by professionals, “thoroughly, impartially and objectively” and this “final picture” should be reported to the UN Security Council, the Financial Times informs.
US allegations that the Syrian government was responsible for the chemical attack led to threats of military action and then a US-Russia deal for Syria to make safe its chemical arms.
- » Steady Rain Delays Mandela Memorial Service
- » Nelson Mandela Memorial Ceremony Opens with Interfaith Prayer
- » Ashton Arrives in Kiev in Attempt to Mend Tensions
- » Another Lenin Statue Toppled in Ukraine
- » Crowds, Dignitaries Gather for Mandela Memorial Service
- » Scores Injured in Crackdown on Kiev Pro-EU Rally