Syria Bids 'Farewell' to Chem Arms Oct 14
The UN has stated that Syria has met its obligations in applying for membership in the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW).
The membership will become effective on October 14, a UN spokesman is quoted as saying.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon welcomed Syria's accession to the OPCW, UN spokesman Martin Nesirky said in a statement, according to Russia's ITAR-TASS.
As early as Thursday, Damascus sent a letter voicing readiness to join OPCW, the implementing authority for the Chemical Weapons Convention, but the UN asked Syria to provide additional information.
- » Police Start Dismantling Protest Camps in Kiev
- » Ukrainian Opposition Party HQ Stormed by Police - Report
- » EU’s Barroso Declares Solidarity with Ukrainians
- » Ukrainian EuroMaydan Activists Surrounded by 'Berkut'
- » Ashton to Embark on 2-Day Trip to Ukraine amid Turmoil
- » December 9, International Anti-Corruption Day