Barroso: Bulgaria Should Join Schengen ASAP
Bulgaria and Romania must be given the opportunity to join the Schengen zone ASAP, says the President of the European Commission, Jose Manuel Barroso.
He spoke Saturday in an interview for the Bulgarian public radio.
Commenting on Friday news that Great Britain will put an end to seasonal jobs for Bulgarians among other EU citizens, Barroso said free movement of people is one of the founding principles of the EU and should not be conditional.
He stressed he wanted Bulgarians to know the EC is siding with those who want a strong, united and open Europe, and pledged to do everything possible to not have different status for different Member States.
Regarding the three-months-long antigovernment protest rallies demanding the resignation of the Socialist-led cabinet of Prime Minister, Plamen Oresharski, the EC President noted Europe respects the democratic development of all countries, but underscored people must take into account the complex economic situation.
- » Bulgarian FM Does Not Rule Out South Stream Re-Negotiation
- » EC: Flaws of South Stream Agreements with Gazprom Revealed in August
- » Bulgaria to Inspect EU Funded Environmental Projects from 2010 - 2013
- » EU Welcomes Ukraine's 'Deep European Aspirations'
- » Bulgarian Refugee Agency Head: Poor Conditions Helped Us Get More Aid
- » UK Carries On Crusade against Bulgarians, Romanians, Wants New EU Rules
Yes Honterus, immigration controls won't change that fact anymore. It is the government in your country who tries to temporarily fool a little the overly pumped-up with fascist pathos simpleton Britons. Watch out for that notoriously swollen cyst of british ego might one day burst like an atomic bomb and submerge the citizens within a sea of fake, rotten expectations.