Ashton: Syria Conflict Must Be Resolved in UN Framework
The UN Security Council must persist in its efforts to contribute for a solution to the conflict in Syria, stated EU top diplomat Catherine Ashton.
"The role of the Security Council is crucial and irreplaceable. It is regrettable that the Council has been unable to reach agreement on how to shoulder its responsibilities with regard to the Syrian conflict," Ashton said, speaking in front of the European Parliament.
At the same time, the EU High Representative for Foreign Affirs urged Syria to "fully comply" with Russia's internationally backed plan to give up its chemical weapons.
"We need to proceed with prudence and examine these developments," Ashton said.
The EU top diplomat was resolute that the ongoing civil war in Syria cannot be resolved by any military means.
The US and other countries, including EU member France, have voiced readiness for military intervention in Syria, which however has abated following this week's announcement of the Russian plan.
- » Ukraine's Tymoshenko Ends Hunger Strike
- » Some Social Media Users Claim Mandela Was 'Terrorist, Racist'
- » French IM Urges EU to be Realistic in its Immigration Policies
- » Mandela to Be Buried in Hometown on December 15
- » 5 Things about Mandela that Make World Smile on a Sad Day
- » Pope Francis: Nelson Mandela will Inspire Generations