Refugee Wave Biggest Threat for Bulgaria in Syria Crisis
There is no direct terrorist or military threat on Bulgaria's territory as a result of the exacerbating crisis in Syria, stated Bulgarian Vice-PM and Minister of Interior Tsvetlin Yovchev.
Yovchev spoke Friday after a 3-hour sitting of the Security Council at the Bulgarian Council of Ministers occasioned by greatly increased international tensions, after the US declared they are likely to inflict a military strike on Syria.
"A possible refugee wave towards Bulgaria caused by military intervention in Syria is the greatest security threat for our country at present," stated the Bulgarian Vice-PM.
He added that relevant authorities are already working to expand the capacities of premises for asylum seekers and to ensure the logistics needed for the creation of refugee camps.
At the same time, Bulgarian Minister of Defense Angel Naydenov confirmed that there have been no requests whatsoever for Bulgaria to take part in the possible military intervention against Syria.
- » Bulgaria to Send Commando Unit to Afghanistan
- » Bulgaria Says It Will Cope with Refugee Influx 'Within Weeks'
- » Bulgaria's Border Fence Operation Going as Planned - Defense Min
- » Interior: 8 000 Await Refugee Status in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria to Participate in NATO's Resolute Support for Afghanistan
- » Bulgarian President Calls Security Council over Refugee Crisis