Bulgarian Expert Cautions against Military Action in Syria
Bulgarian Middle East expert Kiriyak Tsonev believes the Western world should not intervene in the political situation in Syria without a resolution of the UN Security Council.
In an interview for Bulgarian Darik radio, Tsonev said that the results of a military intervention in the conflict in Syria by separate Western countries could not be predicted due to the lack of reliable information regarding the situation in Arab country.
Tsonev stated that the lack of certainty regarding the source of last week's chemical attack, as well as the political interests hidden behind a military intervention would make a potential military strike in Syria a big mistake.
According to the expert, Bulgaria is located too close to the conflict and in case neighboring Turkey is involved in war with Syria, the Balkan country should actively seek and come up with peaceful solutions.
“I know Syrian citizens, I lived among them for many years and I must say that they are wise people. They will always find a solution….They must be left by themselves, no one should interfere with their matters.”, Tsonev said,, emphasizing examples of the history when there were interventions in the internal affairs of Lebanon, Iraq and Afghanistan resulting with bad outcomes for these countries.
- » Bulgaria Assumes Black Sea Cooperation Presidency
- » Bulgarian Delegation Visits Chinese Car Factory
- » US Helsinki Commission Chief Urges Ukrainian Authorities to Drop Force
- » Bulgarian President Joins FM's Objection to Erdogan 'Thrace' Statement
- » Yanukovych Will Sign EU Deal, Says Ashton
- » Turkish PM Speech Stirs Controversy on Balkans